Sore throat is also known as pharyngitis. A sore throat is caused by a bacteria or virus and sometimes it can be caused by allergies especially if the allergy causes coughing. It is also caused by smoking, acid reflux, pollution, dry air, excessive shouting or an allergic reaction. A person with sore throat can also experience a headache, stomach ache, swelling glands in the neck and common cold.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1irQ9ygzk”]
- Install an air purifier to help eliminated dust, dander, mold spores and pollen that causes allergies.
- When outdoors, wear a dust mask and avoid going outdoors between 5 AM and 10 AM especially when the air has abundant amount of airborne allergens.
- Gargle using salt water. Salt water functions as an antiseptic and helps eliminate water out of the mucous membrane in the throat. This also helps lessen phlegm and inflammation. In a glass filled with warm water, add a teaspoon of salt and a few drops of honey. Gargle this solution at least 4 times every day and avoid swallowing by spitting out the water after gargling.
- Sip a hot lemonade mix with a teaspoon of honey to help with the condition. Another option is gargle a freshly pressed lemon juice mixed with equal amounts of warm water.
- In a cup filled with warm water, mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of lemon juice and drink this solution slowly at least 2-3 times every day. It helps minimize the inflammation and pain. Prepare a gargle mixture using a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Gargle this solution at least several times every day to help with the condition.
- Honey has antibacterial properties which help in fighting infections and promotes fast healing of the condition. Honey also function as a hypertonic osmotic which helps eliminate water from the inflamed tissue and lessens the swelling. In a cup of hot water, mix 1-2 tablespoons of honey or add honey to a cup of herbal tea. Drink this solution several times every day. Before sleeping at night, gulp down a teaspoon of honey to help relax the throat while sleeping.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass filled with warm water. Drink this mixture slowly in the morning on an empty stomach at least once every day for 3-4 days. Another option is drinking warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of ground black pepper. Drink this mixture before going to bed. Turmeric has potent antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that promote healing of the sore throat.
- Turmeric powder can be used for gargle. Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon salt to a glass filled with warm water. Gargle this solution at least 2 times every day to manage a sore throat.