Candidates that need to renew previous first aid training certification may be eligible for re-certification. Re-certification training is shorter and cheaper than the original course. Upon completion, candidates receive the same certification that is valid for the same amount of time. Prior to registering (find a provider near you here) for a re-certification please check to see if you meet the requirements.
First Aid Re-Certifications
St Mark James does not offer re-certification courses for all of its first aid training courses. Each province has different requirements, the following list is for the majority of provinces in Canada. Check with the provider in your area to determine whether the re-cert course is available and the prerequisites. The following is a list of the available re-certification classes in most provinces:
- Standard first aid and CPR level “C”. – This re-cert course is 8 hours in length.
- Standard first aid and health care provider CPR (CPR HCP). – This re-cert course is 8 hours in length.
- Emergency first aid and CPR level “C” – This re-cert course is 8 hours in length.
- Emergency first aid and CPR level “A”. – This re-cert course is 8 hours in length.
The following is a list of the stand-alone CPR re-cert courses that are available through this workplace-approved provider:
- Stand-alone CPR level “C”.- This re-cert course is 4 hours in length.
- Stand-alone health care provider CPR (CPR HCP). – This re-cert course is 4 hours in length.
All of the mentioned CPR courses include training and certification in the use of automated external defibrillators (AED).
Re-Certification Training Cost:
The cost of the re-certification training varies depending on location and type of re-cert course. Course prices range from as low as 25 dollars to as high as 125 dollars.
Prerequisites and Course Eligibility.
To take a workplace-approved re-certification course candidates must meet the following requirements:
- A candidate must have completed either a renewal course or a full course within the past 3 years.
- A candidate must have completed a re-cert or full course through a credible provider such as St Mark James, Vancouver First Aid, Heart and Stroke Foundation, or St. Johns Ambulance.
- Candidates in Ontario must have completed the previous course with a St Mark James provider
- A candidate must have completed the previous course within Canada. International certificates will not be accepted for renewal in Canada.
When candidates complete the skills component and the test with a minimum grade of 75% the candidates will receive a workplace-approved certification award. The certificate is valid for 3 years. The candidate will receive a wallet-sized certificate but can also opt for a larger wall mount certificate.