Foot tendonitis is the inflammation and irritation of the foot tendons. A tendon is a band of fibrous tissues that function in connecting muscle to the bone. It causes pain and can become a serious condition if it occurs persistently.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUlqM28hdp4″]
Foot tendonitis can be caused by excessive straining of the foot which can be due to different kinds of activities such as walking, running or having a job that requires long hours of standing. Foot tendonitis can also be caused by wearing poorly fitting shoes, obesity, bone spurs and diabetes.
Symptoms of foot tendonitis
- Severe pain upon getting out of bed in the morning and when starting to exercise
- Inflammation and swelling
- A limited movement of the affected area
- Weakness in the leg
Treatment and home remedies of foot tendonitis
- Take plenty of rest and avoid running or playing when there is pain since activity can make the condition worse.
- Perform exercises that do not add a lot of stress on the affected foot such as swimming.
- Apply an ice compress or ice pack over the affected area since it helps in minimizing inflammation and pain caused by foot tendonitis. If ice is not available, a bag of frozen vegetables or a cold spoon is also helpful with the condition. Place the ice compress over the affected area at least 15 minutes at several times on a daily basis.
- Using Epsom salt helps in providing magnesium to the body that will be absorbed through the skin. It also helps in the healing of the muscles and the connective tissues such as the tendon. Epsom salts also provide relaxation and detoxification of the affected area. Prepare ½ cup of Epsom salt and mix it in a tub filled with warm water, soak the affected foot in the solution for one hour. Perform this remedy 2-3 times in a week for a few weeks.
- Prepare a glass of warm water and then add a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of honey and mix thoroughly and drink this mixture 2-3 times every day. Apple cider vinegar possesses anti-inflammatory properties and highly beneficial to the overall health of the individual.
- Soak the affected foot in sugarless carbonated water at least for 10-15 minutes twice every day. Take note that this helps in relieving severe pain and inflammation.
- Apply alternately hot and cold vinegar wraps since these helps minimize the pain and inflammation. Hot vinegar wraps helps in minimizing pain and relaxes sore muscles while cold vinegar wraps lessens the inflammation. Prepare equal amounts of white vinegar and water and then heat it in a large pan. In another bowl, mix equal parts of vinegar and cold water and then soak a cloth in the hot mixture. Wring out excess water and wrap it around the affected foot for at least 10 minutes and then soak a cloth in the cold mixture and follow the same procedure. Perform the sequences at least three times. Afterwards, apply some moisturizer on the affected foot.